Skip to main content

Gemstone Meanings

Making jewelry has given me a new appreciation for gemstones.  I have only started to work with them just because I have the time to make some different things.  It's always phases with me and my creativity.  Things come and go, and recently it's about gemstones.

When I was a massage therapist, of course I looked into healing properties of different stones.  But I haven't really appreciated them until now.  I went to a jewelry show and bought some gemstone beads to make more stretch bracelets and these are the ones I bought.


Moonstone:

I saw different colors of moonstone but really loved this strand of peach and grayish moonstones.  In some cultures moonstones are magical.  They are also used as dream stones and it's said it can bring good dreams at night.  It is also considered a fertility stone and women of some cultures sew it into their dresses.  Other characteristics of the stone includes: protection on land and sea, success in love and business, and it brings good fortune.


get it at FancifulWish

Lapis Lazuli:

How can you resist Lapis Lazuli, even the name is exotic and mysterious!  This is one of my favorite stones because of the deep blue color and the shimmers in the stone, so beautiful.  Lapis Lazuli has a great past for it was used in places like Rome, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, you get my drift.  Also painters before the 1800's ground up this stone to create this vibrant blue for their paintings.  Isn't that mind blowing?  Once more, this stone was said to have magical powers.  Who could blame anyone for thinking that?  It is called the stone of friendship and truth.



get it at FancifulWish

Brownite:

Included in the bracelet above is a stone I had never heard before but the vendor said it was brownite.  I've tried to look up information on brownite but can't find much.  It is really beautiful though and has these nice gold lines in them.  I thought it compliments the Lapis quite well.

Tiger Eye:

I love Tiger Eye stones.  I find the colors so intriguing.  Tiger Eye is a stone of protection and used a lot in feng shui.  It brings good luck and insight to the wearer.  It can also bring peace of mind or focus, helping the wearer to see clearly.  It's a grounding stone (for those who seem flighty) and a great stone for meditation.

get it at FancifulWish

Blue Lace Agate:

Here is a stone for calming anger and strengthening communication in it's wearers.  It is also a protective stone like all agate stones.  This is a beautiful stone that encourages tranquility.

get it at FancifulWish

Iolite:

In the photo above with the Blue Lace Agate and Lapis Lazuli, I added smaller dark blue stones called Iolite.  I don't know what drew me to these stones at the jewelry stones but I fell in love with it.  I rushed home to find out what these stones were about!  In the past, mariners used to use the stone as a compass, because of the way it showed different hues when held up to the sky.  They say Iolite helps you find traces of your past life.  How interesting!  It is a stone for vision and creativity.  Ahhh, no wonder I was drawn to it.  Haha :-)


Amethyst:

Of course I had to have amethyst.  Who doesn't love this friendly purple stone?  Amythest helps with so many things:  addiction, insomnia, relief from a headache, brings good dreams, protection, meditation.  It's a stone that symbolizes humility and spiritual wisdom.  How awesome and powerful is this stone?  I love me some amethyst!

get it at FancifulWish



What's your favorite gemstone?
Xoxo, Yolanda


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry

One of FancifulWish 's best sellers (when I have the time to make them) are my hand stamped metal jewelry.  I like the act of pounding a metal stamp into a piece of metal.  Maybe it's stress relief?  I bought my first kit from Beaducation .  And yes I started off with a kit because I didn't know what went into metal stamped jewelry.  I would have taken a class from my local jewelry store but I was at home with a newborn with no babysitter, so learning on my own was the way to go. Now I will warn you - making hand stamped jewelry is NOT cheap.  You can get away with using a hammer you have at home to pound your letters into your metal but the letters themselves are pricey.  I've only managed to collect 5 different types of letters, 3 of them the same font in different size with numbers included. The other a different font in lower and upper case sizes.  And then there are punctation stamps and design stamps....not cheap.  Alphabet set stamps can run you from $

Beaded Wire Hoop Earrings

I saw a bunch of these online a few months ago and decided to try and make some because I have many left over beads from various bracelet projects.  I also LOVE hoop earrings.  Plain hoops, silver or gold plated were my favorite accessory to wear and still would be if I didn't have a son who loves to pull jewelry off me.  Ow. But I remember rocking hoops since I was in high school!  A teacher of mine asked me if it hurt to wear them because I had these real big ones (she said a bird could make a nest in there...HA HA Ms. Kepner).  Over the years I've had an obsession with hoops.  Thin, thick, rhinestone, plain, large, small.  My favorites are big thin hoops. I scoured the internet once more and found a bunch of sites with instructions on how to make wire hoops.  I bought some wire and proceeded to make them. I didn't have hoops on hand so I made that part also.  It's amazing what a tylenol pill bottle can be used for!  Anyway, I tried different sizes and lo

DIY Dream Catcher Bracelet

I had my first Dream Catcher when I was a sophomore in high school.  We bought it on a family trip that landed us briefly in Sedona, Arizona.  It was maroon suede with feathers and it hung on my bed post so I'd have good dreams at night.  I loved that thing.  I've been seeing dream catcher bracelets around on the internet so I wanted to make one for myself.  I found some tutorials but thought I'd add to the list and make my own. Supplies: * embroidery floss thread or suede lace * metal ring (key chain rings work well) * thinner string like s-lon cord, or 4 ply Irish waxed linen, or even dental floss * small beads * tape (optional) * glue like hypo cement (something that dries clear) I chose a coral thread, brown wax linen for the webbing and a key ring. Choose your colors and start by taking just a little bit of tape and taping down one end of the thread to the ring.  Start wrapping your ring with the thread. When you are done wrapping, tie a knot so th